Saturday, July 27, 2013

Oh, Galway....

Galway, Ireland, Claddagh Park
Galway lies on Ireland's west coast.


It is a very lively city with many shops and pubs to keep everyone happy.  There is always live music at night.  The pub across the street has a band every night and I love being able to listen to it even if they do play till 2am.

I arrived from Dublin yesterday afternoon to sunshine and warmth.  It took about two and a half hours to get here by train and was the least stressful travel day I have had so far.  Yesterday in Dublin, it rained.  In fact, it poured.  I don't know if they are showing it on the news back home, but Dublin flooded.  Luckily, I left before it got bad.  I walked one block to take the tram to the train station.  The tram runs right through the city making many stops.  Way better than walking, let me tell you.  I got to the station to find they were boarding early, so I got a good seat and had a place to store my luggage (which isn't always the case sometimes....).  

But enough about my train ride.  The hotel I booked (I am never staying in a hostel again!) was right around the block of the train station.  Once I checked in I wasted no time and walked out to explore.  I found a shopping center just one block away and made a stop in Penney's, which is the Irish version of Primark.  Same clothes, same low price.  I bought new pajamas and a few new shirts (bed bugs have my clothes hostage).  I also walked along Quay (pronounced like key, just in case you didn't already know that) Street, which has a ton of shops and pubs and cafes.  The weather quickly took a turn, so I went back towards my hotel.  There is a convenience store across from me so I stopped in to get some food (fresh veggie pizza!).  As soon as I got into my room, the rain came.  It's a common occurrence here, but wait just 20 minutes, and it will change.  Always have an umbrella handy, that's for sure!

Today, with the sun shining, I went back out to explore.  I walked back down Quay Street and stopped into the shops.  I bough some goodies for myself, as well as other people!  There were many street performers set up.  Some were singing, some were pretending to be statues.  There was even a guy making sand sculptures.  Yesterday he did a pig, today a dog.  Everywhere you looked, something was going on.

 
I walked to the end of the street and came upon Claddagh Park.  There were small beaches where a few people were hanging out, escaping the insanity that is downtown Galway.  I don't blame them. 

Claddagh Park

Claddagh Park

Claddagh Park

Claddagh Park
After wandering around in peaceful bliss, I decided I needed to go on a quest for food.  Tuna melt, cafe, good food, blah blah blah....I went back to shopping.  As soon as I got outside it started to rain, so I popped into a store, and then it poured.  It was here that I bought some more goodies for people back home.  Maybe some of the Waterford Crystal persuasion.

Well, that's about all I did today.  Walked around, spent way to much money, also booked a trip to the Cliffs of Moher tomorrow which I am very excited about!  Even if it supposed to rain.



Galway, Ireland

Galway, Ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment