Thursday, July 18, 2013

I'm Back!

It's been a while, I know!  I had computer problems, then wifi issues.  But all is well over here.  Very hot, as this article tells.  I spent my days in St. Ives walking along the beaches eating anything with Cornish attached to it: pasties, fudge, ice cream, and fighting off the sea gulls....Not much to really tell.



 
Okay!  After St. Ives, I traveled back up north to Fenstanton.  It was about an hour out of London by train.  I spent many hours on a train that day.  Now, why was I on my way to Fenstanton?  Well, a very close family friend, Dan, had help me arrange a stay with his uncle Paul and his wife Jan.  I have never met them before, so I didn't know what to expect.  What I didn't expect was to be picked up in a vintage convertible and then be driven through the English countryside.  Not that I am complaining!  And it was my first time riding in a convertible, so at least I did so in style.

Paul and Jan were absolutely wonderful!  Once I was settled in, they brought me out to their allotment.    I think this is a great idea and should be in every city back in the states.  Or maybe it is, in which case make it known!  Allotments are provided in every city in England.  It's just a lot of land that you get to garden on.  It was here that I discovered my love of gooseberries.  We picked raspberries, some people were growing lavender.  It was very peaceful.

We then set of to a local free house pub.  I kept seeing free house in London, and it means that they can serve whatever beers they like.  It was here I had my first true English beer.  I had an Adnams bitter, half pint, and it was delicious!  Also, when they say the beer is warm, it's not.  It's more room temperature, but still a bit cool.  All in all, my first night was filled with delicious food and good company.

The next day (we are up to Tuesday now, folks, in case you have lost track as I have) Paul took me to Cambridge for a walking tour.  Cambridge is the ultimate college town.  There are 31 different colleges all belonging to Cambridge University.    









The tour ended in Kings College Chapel.  Now, I say chapel because that is what it is called, but it's more of a cathedral if you ask me.  





After the walking tour, we met Jan for a light lunch at local establishment called Fitzbillies.  It was small and they only offered a few menu items, but it was delicious!  They also had some really good looking pastries.  Once lunch was done, we punted down the River Cam.




People who have no clue what they are doing


Now, you either have a guided tour or venture out on your own.  I actually can't believe they hand the poles over to people and send them off with a wave and a knowing smile.  But is was a relaxing way to see the city.  My short time in Fenstanton is one I won't forget.  It's off the beaten path, away from all the touristy sites, and is the real England to me.  So thank you so very much Jan and Paul for showing me a wonderful time!  And if you ever find yourself in the Syracuse area, you know where to find me!



Next time on my blog:

Trains, Delays, and Flaming Bagpipes!

2 comments:

  1. So did you have a go with the pole or did an Adnams fueled Sir Paul have the honors?

    ReplyDelete