Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Greetings from across the Pond

It took trains, planes, and automobiles to get me here, but I have finally made it to London.  After getting lost what seems like a million times, I finally found my hostel.

My (messy) little room

I'm staying in Hammersmith, a West London neighborhood.  It's nice with parks/gardens, and loads of tiny shops and cafes.  Hammersmith is also home to Europe's largest shopping center....yay!  As well as the BBC Studios. I am only a 10 walk to the Tube, and there is a Tescos (grocery store) right around the corner.  I must say the food here is a lot cheaper than I was expecting.  So so far so good here.





Now onto my venture out into London.  I wanted to do the every-so-touristy hop on/hop off bus.  I thought "that would be a great way to see the city!"  If only I could find it.  I am finding London hard to navigate so far.  Maybe it's the jet lag mixed with lack of sleep, but my first day here wasn't as grand as I had hoped.  So I was about to just give up and searching, when I see the London Eye above some trees.  I keep walking down to find St. James Park (which I will be go back to wander through) and this: 



And the streets are lined with banner and flags in preparation of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Celebration next week.






The Duke of York Memorial and Big Ben itself!



One thing I find myself doing is looking the wrong way when I go to cross the street.  It weird to see cars diving on the opposite side of the road.  But the lovely British people have added a little something to help you out.  All you have to do is look down!




There you go!  Problem solved!

I must say, though, that the London transportation is maybe the best I have seen.  The Tube trains seem to arrive every minute and they are clean and comfortable.  There are bus stops a plenty, as well.  The people here are nice and helpful, not only telling you where to go, but showing you.

I promise next time I will have loads more to report, but for now, this traveller needs to get some much needed sleep in preparation for some hard core sightseeing tomorrow. So, until next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment