Saturday, July 6, 2013

Markets, Parks, and Monuments!


I didn't update yesterday because I didn't do much.  I had a shopping day on Oxford Street, said to be the busiest shopping street in all of Europe.  And you know what?  They may be right!  I have never waited in lines so long before.  I mean, I waited 20 to try on clothes.  The lines were so long, they rivaled Disney World.  But I didn't care, I was in no hurry.  I did get a TON of cute things though!

Today started off with more shopping at Portobell market in Notting Hill.  


The same Notting Hill as the movie which made the area famous.  Getting to the market is easy: just follow the crowd.  Really, it's that easy!  (I wish all of London was this simple as I have YET to find that stupid visitor center!!!!)

Oh well.  Notting Hill is yet another quaint neighborhood tucked away in London.  Its townhouses had iron balconies and perfectly landscaped gardens.  Portobello market itself is an insane cluster of people walking every which way, but walk just a street over, and you are surrounded by tree lined roads and quiet.  




But like I said, one street over and you get this!

There are over 100 vendors on this street, not to mention the shops that are already there.  Everything from antiques to fresh food is sold here.  It seemed as if anything goes.  It is also a good place to have a cheap lunch.  I had a freshly made Italian panini and a bottle of water for £5.  If you get there at the right time, as I seemed to do, most placed reduce their priced to half off or even everything for £1.  You can get a good deal if you know where to look.

You have to be prepare for the crowds when going to a Market like this.  If you don't like people, then stay home.  Most of the people who go seem to be tourists who like to stop dead on the street in front of you causing a ten person pile up.  You must be patient.  You are at a famous street market in England and you never know what interesting things you may find!

Notting Hill, London, England, cameras
awesome old cameras

super old Shakespeare
Notting Hill, London, England, Gas Masks
"are you my mummy?"


Next, I headed back into London to, once again, try to find that darn visitor center!  I am starting to think it is a myth, or in a super secret location where you need a password to enter, or stand in exactly the right spot to see it.  Seriously, it is the ONE thing in London I have yet to find.  So I decided to get a closer view of the Parliament.  

There is no way to describe the sheer massiveness of this place!  Like, picture how big you think it is, and then multiply that by 100!  




The clock chimes every 15 minutes.  There is something really cool about listening to Big Ben chime.

After walking around a bit, I decided to take a stroll through St. James's Park.  Even though it is right in the middle of all the hustle and bustle of London, it is very peaceful and quiet.  Many were out lounging in the sun or having picnics.  There were many ice cream vendors on hand as well, and a good thing too as it was a hot one today!  Like all large parks, there is a gorgeous pond.  Only in this pond, it does not contain only ducks, but pelicans and swans.  

Fun fact time!

Did you know that all the Swans in England and Wales are protected by the Queen?  In fact, it is a crime to disrupt their home or hurt the swan  in any way.  So even if the swan is pecking your eyes out, you are not allowed to touch the sawn.  And that is why swans are the scariest creatures out there!

London, England, Swans
Mom and her babies
London, England, Pelicans

After about a 20 minute stroll, i start to see signs for Buckingham Palace.  So naturally, I follow them.




London, England

Just a big stone building with guards, basically.  But cool to see none the less.  

I did a lot of walking today.  It's a good way to see the city.  You are able to experience so much more, and you always seem to happen upon little hidden gems that may not be as know to the touristing world.  Tomorrow, I may go on such a quest.  

I'm going to leave you with some extra random pictures of my travels today.  Enjoy!

Piccadilly Circus

Some filming going on near St. James's Park

Westminster Abbey

Along the River Thames


St. James's Park




1 comment: