Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Here a queue, there a queue, everywhere a queue queue

For those of you who don't know, a queue is fancy-schmancy British talk for line.  Everywhere I went today was "Form a queue here!" "Queue up over there!"  "Next queue form here!"  I did a lot of queueing.

But since I am on the topic of the difference of words, how is it that English can be different depending on where you go?  Over here, if you ask for chips, you get fries.  Want a cookie?  Ask for a biscuit.  You want actual chips, ask for crisps.  Elevators are lifts, the first floor of a building is called the ground floor.  A boot is the trunk of your car, so if anyone asks to show you their new boot, run away.  And don't even get me started on the slang.  I heard two girls talking today and they may have well been speaking Greek!  Not that I am complaining, because I'm not!  It's funny that, even though we are speaking the same language, there are times where you don't understand each other.  Where did it all come from?

But enough about that.  On to what I did today!

I woke up bright and early to head out to see the Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace.  It takes place every morning at 11AM and lasts about an hour.  I left my room at about 9:15, and by the time I got down there, it was already packed.  And this is where I may rant a bit.  My experience at this certain event was....how shall we put it....somewhat unpleasant.  I guess it's to be expected when you pack hundreds of insane tourists, who have their own agendas, together.  And sorry kids!  Why do you think you get to be in front and able to see it all?  Move over, the the 7 foot tall giant man who wants to see it more than you do is on his way!

I actually started out with a good view.  Then was slowly pushed back.  That 7 foot tall giant may not have been 7 feet tall, but he had a good foot on me.  Did he really need to pummel me over and then proceed to hit me in the head with his camera strap??  He will definatley be receiving a copy of my "How to be the Perfect Tourist" guidebook.  I almost just walked away, but you couldn't get out.  You were surrounded by tons of crazy eyed, camera waving, psychotic tourists.

But nevertheless, it was a cool experience.  Will I do it again?  I think not.  But check out some of my pictures I managed to get!







As soon as it was over with I high tailed it out of there and made my way to Westminster Abbey.  Now, unfortunately they do not allow photography.  And don't even think about sneaking in some shots here and there cause there are people everywhere making sure you don't.  So I will have to paint you a word picture.

Did you watch the Royal Wedding between Kate and William?  Good.  Because it looked like that!  But seriously, it's beautiful inside!  It was built around 960 A.D.  In 1066, the first recorded coronation happened in the Abbey, belonging to William the Conqueror.  This is also where the Unknown Solider is buried.  His tomb is surrounded by red poppies, which are worn on Remembrance Day.

Knowledge time!  The red poppy became the emblem for Remembrance Day because of the poem "In Flanders Field."  The poppies bloomed across the fields of Flanders during WWI and their color is a symbol of the blood shed during the war.

I saw the tomb and Mary, Queen of Scots.  Saw the Coronation Chair.  It is weird walking around, though.  Everywhere on the floor are markers and plaques stating who is buried beneath your feet.  No matter where you walked, you were standing on someones grave.  I was able to tour all of the smaller chapels that were inside the church.  I did choose to do the the un-guided tour because I wanted to just wander around and view things on my own time.  I spent maybe 45 minutes looking around and would definitely recommend taking that amount of time, maybe even longer.  When you exit, you walk through the cloisters and they open to and overlook the Cloister Garth.  And I was able to snap some pictures here.


Next, I walked over the Westminster Bridge and headed on over to the London Eye.  And what do you know, more lines....sorry, queues!  They move pretty fast, though.  I learned on the bus tour that the London Eye, installed in 1999 to commemorate the new millennium, was only supposed to be a temporary structure, lasting only for 3 years.  But it became so popular, and such a staple to the London skyline, that it stayed.  If you are afraid of heights, this is not the attraction for you.  But the sights were spectacular!  The whole ride lasted maybe 20 minutes, give or take.  It costs around £20, but I highly recommend taking a ride on the London Eye (see what I did there?).




After a quick lunch back in Leicester Square, I headed east to go visit the Globe Theatre.  Got a little lost once down in the area, but found a walking path right along the river.  It was another nice day, and I was down there around 5, so many people were leaving work and taking leisurely strolls in the sun.  Now, I don't think I have mentioned this before, but summers days in London are long.  The sun rises around 4:30 in the morning, and doesn't set until after 9.  I love it.  So, back to the river stroll.  Have I mentioned how much I love this city?  Because I do!



I took a walk over the Millennium Bridge to the other side of the bank and walked by the Tate Modern and the Globe Theatre.  On the bridge, there we locks with dates on them.  This is something I have seen before and something that is becoming very popular all over the world.  They are called love locks.  Kind of like the modern day version of carving initials into trees, or doodling them in your notebook in school. Many contain anniversary dates and initials.





And this is where my days adventure ended.  After 9 hours of tours, sightseeing, and be pummeled by giants, I went back to good 'ole Hammersmith.  I can't believe that I only have two more days left in London.  It's been a whirlwind experience, but I have been enjoying every moment of it.  It's hard to be a solo traveler, especially being one over 3000 miles from your comfort zone.  It's easy to stick to what you know.  Before I left, many people told me I was brave for going on my own and that I must be very adventurous.  I don't think I'm all that brave or adventurous.  I was always more talk than anything.  But when you keep telling yourself that you are going to travel the world, eventually you make yourself believe you can.  And by making yourself believe it, you make yourself become brave enough to do so.      

Look, a dalek!







            

No comments:

Post a Comment