Monday, July 22, 2013

Edinburgh

Scotland, Edinburg, Old Town




Edinburgh, Scotland.

(If I could find a way to play a quiet, yet haunting Scottish tune for this entry, I would.)

I arrived in Edinburgh on a Wednesday evening in a flurry or irritated train passengers.  I caught the 11:47 AM train up to Edinburgh, expected to arrive at 4:15PM.  All was well, that is until I transferred trains.  We were delayed.  But I didn't mind.  So, I wrote out some postcards, three in all.  Still haven't moved.  I filled out more of my travel journal, including pages for upcoming adventures.  Still haven't moved.  So I synced my iPod to update it to my new computer.  Still haven't moved.  I ate some lunch.  Still haven't moved.  I even took a quick nap, woke up and STILL. HAVEN'T. MOVED.

We sat, like sitting ducks, for over two hours.  Delayed over signaling problems outside on Doncaster.  It would have been fine, but some of the passengers were getting angry.  And then you thought it was the end of the world when it was announced that all reserved seats were no longer standing, and first class had to accommodate the vast number of non first class passengers picked up at York.

Here are some pictures I snapped of Northern England when we actually got moving again.

train travel
 

 

So by the time I actually got to Edinburgh, all I wanted to do was find my hostel.  It was like I had blinders on.  I never stopped to look around at my surroundings.  By the time I found my hostel and got settled in, it was nearing 7PM.  I was hoping to go out and explore, but I was tired.  I was hot.  And I wanted to go to bed.

I woke the next morning feeling refreshed and ready to explore.  I walked out the door and was in awe.  I can't believe I paid no attention just hours before.  How could I miss what was around me.  Me?!  The one who usually notices everything.  Everything about this city is beautiful.  

I found an outdoor cafe in a park, and sat down to have lunch.  It was a warm day here, but a little cloudy.  Many people were out and about enjoying the warmth.  Edinburgh is like no city I have ever visited before.  It wasn't far from here where I sat on the steps to a monument, along with everyone else, and listened to a bagpiper play.  There is something about this city that makes me feel at ease.  All the stress from traveling, and whatever else, seems to diminish.  I look over my shoulder, and you can see Edinburgh Castle on the mound.  It is here, while listening to this bagpiper playing a (and I am quoting Ted Mosbey here) hauntingly beautiful song that I am swept up in the Scottish culture.  I forget that I am out here on my own.  I forget that I am thousands of miles away from my comfort zone.  And I forget how tired I am and how sometimes I just want to go back home.  It's moments like these that bring you back to the present.  And everyone is there, Scottish and tourists alike, enjoying this moment in the warmth and sunshine.   

My first full day in Edinburgh was spent wandering down the Royal Mile, popping into some stores to browse or buy some things.  The scenery here is unbelievable.  You can see the North Sea in the distance, and the city itself in surrounded by many hills.  I wish I had more time here to explore the areas just outside of the city.






My second day, I decided to walk up and tour the castle that I have been looking at since I got here.  A castle is a castle, but the views from the top were fantastic!




Google "Scotland's national animal"



After touring around for a couple hours, I headed down to Princes Street.  This is the strip where you can do all your major shopping.  But I was headed to Waterstones bookstore.  Why?  Because a lovely woman I met waiting for the train up to Edinburgh told me to go there because there is a cafe on the top floor which over looks the city.  That, and I wanted to buy a new book.  It was a hot and sunny day, so ducking in for a while was much needed.

One thing I immediately noticed upon arriving in Scotland is how genuinely friendly everyone is.  When I got off the train and paused to look around to see where I was, a lady approached me saying "you look a bit lost, can I help you?"  Every store you walk into they ask how you are doing, if you're enjoying your holiday, and they will give you advice on what to do and see.  I find myself loving it here.  It makes traveling alone much easier when you see friendly smiles wherever you go.  

Now, I know I promised flaming bagpipes, but I can't upload the video.  I know!  I'm sorry!  But I will continue to try to upload it either on my blog or my facebook, so keep a look out for it!  But, there are plenty of bagpipers across the city, so here is another one!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment